Jahvid Best has not played in an NFL game since October 2011 due to issues caused by numerous concussions. Although he remained on the Lions' roster, he probably won't play again. The Lions announced Wednesday they have finally cut the former first-round pick.
"Jahvid is as fine a person and professional as I have ever worked with," Lions Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Martin Mayhew said. "He was the consummate teammate and always did everything asked of him. We wish Jahvid the very best in all his future endeavors and have no doubt that he will be successful in whatever path he chooses."
Best offered his own statement: "I want to thank the Detroit Lions organization for drafting me and giving me an opportunity to fulfill my dream and play in the National Football League. My time as a member of the Lions was a very special time in my life. My teammates, the members of the organization, the Lions fans and the people of Detroit will hold a special place in my heart. I'll always be a Lion."
Best gained more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage as a rookie and was averaging 4.6 yards per carry in 2011 before his latest concussion effectively ended his NFL career. It's a sad close for a very promising player who is only 24 years old.
In a somewhat related story, wide receiver Laurent Robinson says he feels healthy after suffering four concussions last year and is looking for a team to come calling. I wish him the best of luck, but I admit I will be frightened for Robinson if he does play in another game.