Johnny Manziel Scouting Report
|School:||Texas A&M Aggies|
|Height & Weight:||6'1 - 210 lbs.|
|Draft Prediction:||Top 10|
|Ranked #4 on our Top 100 Prospects Board|
2014 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
Johnny Football took college football by storm last year as evidenced by his 2012 Davey O'Brien Award and Heisman Trophy wins, the first freshman to ever earn either award. His sophomore campaign did not go as smoothly with off-field issues during the offseason and a couple tough losses to close the year.
Manziel lacks ideal height and arm strength. Very thin for his size and needs to add bulk to handle all the hits he will take. Took a lot of shots in college. Elite mobility and top end speed for a quarterback. Footwork, release, accuracy and technique are all serious problems. Relies heavily on improvisation and will need an offense to cater their entire plan to his style. Throws a few too many balls up for grabs. Puts good velocity on throws even when on the move. Appears to be a great team leader. Noted for having a laid-back attitude on and off the field. Relies heavily on his ability to escape pressure and make plays out of the pocket or when scrambling.
Manziel does not have first round talent, yet he currently projects as a first round selection in the 2014 NFL Draft.
FANTASY OUTLOOK: The main concern with Manziel is his ability to play a full 16-game schedule. For a player that relies on improvisation and breaking the pocket to make plays, he simply doesn't have the weight or frame to take the punishment. Even Michael Vick (one of the craziest and most amazing athletes to ever play the position) has already shown us that eventually the big hits come. If you can trust Johnny Football to stay healthy, more power to you. For others who are worried about his durability, there are just too many other low-risk options at the position to take the risk. The highlights will come, but so will the injuries.
Latest Player News & Rumors
- 10/30 Johnny Manziel has been freelancing with the scout team - Pro Football Talk
- 10/29 Browns coach Mike Pettine says Johnny Manziel frustrated about sitting, organization needs to know h - Akron Beacon Journal
- 10/29 Mike Pettine “can sense” Johnny Manziel's frustration with not playing - Pro Football Talk
- 10/29 Browns coach can sense forgotten man Johnny Manziel is frustrated (Shutdown Corner) - Yahoo.com
- 10/29 Mike Evans says Browns QB Johnny Manziel is 'never going to come off the field' once he gets shot - Akron Beacon Journal
2 Comments | Add Yours
You must login in order to comment:
If you do not have an account yet, register here -- it's free